Sunday, November 23, 2008

New flicks

It's been a few months since I directed a damn thing, and although I've been doing a fair bit of acting and writing, I'm becoming restless. So I hope to keep myself occupied outside of college in the next month or so.

It's coming up to Crimbo, and I fancy doing in next short with a festive feel. But in the same dirty, dark but sweet vibe that seems to instill itself in my "Fistful of Fanny" trilogy. From working with the Deviants on Vultures, I'd love to write something that incorporates them, and get a chance to direct and act opposite them in my own zone.

First on the agenda, however, is a music video for Boy Dyson and a college-project short doc about graffiti, where I'll be interviewing my very dear friend, collaborator and expert on all things graf, Mr Stephen "Rory Furey" Considine. Speaking of himself, the dramatic short I'm trying to write will definitely feature him giving what will no doubt be as strong a performance as he gave in "Audacious". Easily the most fearless, natural actor I've ever worked with, Conso is on the same wavelength as his director all the time, and is more important if not more so to the enjoyment of the audience. And that is not hyperbole by any stretch.

So far, with the barrage of ideas I have for the short, it will have the feel of Springsteen ballad like "The Ghost of Tom Joad", with the boozy recklessness of a Pogues' tune. Mixing the improvised, documentary vibe of "No Turnin' Back" with the atmospheric, experimental vibe of the "Bad Beat" promo, and with a juicy female character part or two, in a change of place from the downright sexist flicks of my past. And it's set around Christmas! Everyone loves Christmas! Christmas in Galway!

Either way, I hope you keep watching. And anyone interested, give me a hearty shout.....

....P

No comments: