Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Folly locked!

The flick I shot over Easter has finally been locked in. Due to college work piling up at this time of year, the flick fell by the wayside in terms of post-production, and was sitting there half-cut for a couple of weeks with only minor adjustments. It's fnally done, and runs a little over twelve minutes without credits (making it the shortest film I've shot) and is all the better for it. It is more than likely the best thng I've done, for what that's worth, and that is entirely down to three beautiful, natural performances from the people in it. I hesitate to use the word "actors", as the three characters: a hyperactive 8-year old with a vivid imagination; his mother; and a gruff but soft-hearted stranger, are just that in real life. And the subtle, sensitive performances feel so real and so natural that a bloke who considers himself a "proper actor" (me) is shamefaced watching back the rushes.

The edit was certainly a challenging one, as the level of improvisation was tough to cut around (it shows how much bloody critiques our college makes us write when my blog starts to sound like one). But it looks good and is something that will hold up next to anyone's work, I hope. Anyway, I'm gonna be throwing it around a few festivals and hopefully make a few bob out of it (as beautifully crafted and personal as I like my pictures, I'm ultimately in ths for the cash and the skirt). I'll try get it up on the interwebnet soon freisin.

Next up, I'll be reuniting with actor Stephen Considine (No Turnin' Back, Audacious, and ths as of yet untitled film) and my own brother Paul for a film about a pair of brothers. And I'll be acting in what promises to be my first foray into badass territory in the western "Once Upon a Time in the Glorious Revolution", also featuring Conso, and directed (mariachi style) by Seán Clancy. It's a role a million miles away from anything I've done before, and it's gonna be a blast. It's also the first time I get to work with Steve in a purely acting capacity instead of directng hm. Which means far more craic. That and a certain men on a mission script should keep me occupied for the time being......

Sin e

Pete

No comments: